- Dr Simon Zhao was interviewed by South China Morning Post on the redevelopment of Chikan old town (Guangdong Province) into a heritage tourism site.
- Professor Becky P.Y. Loo has been awarded the CILTHK President Award 2017
- Professor Becky P.Y. Loo has been invited to give a Keynote Speech at the First EASTS PhD and Early Career Researcher Accelerator Forum (17 September, 2017) in Vietnam
- Dr Alex Lo was interviewed by the CNN on China's climate change policies. http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/29/asia/china-trump-climate-change
- Dr J.J. Zhang was interviewed by South China Morning Post on the future of red light districts in Hong Kong. http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2051238/losing-sex-appeal-future-hong-kongs-red-light-districts
- Dr Alex Lo delivered an invited plenary speech at the International Conference on Regional Development, which was held in Semarang, Indonesia during 9-11 November 2016 and sponsored by the Government of Semarang City.
- Professor Becky P.Y. Loo has been invited to give a Keynote Speech at the Tourist Behaviour Research Conference 2016 (23-26 September) in Jinan, Shandong, China.
- Huge congratulations to our final year (BSocSc) student, Cheng Kwan Yee, Queenie, who has been awarded the prestigious Royal Geographical Society - Hong Kong Scholarship! The scholarship supports Queenie's Honours Dissertation titled 'Internationalisation of academic migrants and their notion of home - a study of Singaporean academics in Hong Kong'. She is supervised by Dr J.J. Zhang. Well done, Queenie!
- Anna WU Yifei, a PhD student of Professor George Lin has won the Best Student Paper Award in the 'China Geography Specialty Group' in the recent 2016 AAG Annual Meeting. The title of her paper is 'Reproducing urban space with over-drafted capital: mega-events, local debts, and spectacular urbanism in China'. Well done, and congratulations!
Congratulations to Dr James Wang, who has been awarded the Public Policy Research (PPR) Fund for his project titled 'Hongkong-Shenzhen-Guangzhou as a Multi-gateway Trading City-region for Cross-border E-retailing: A Geographical Analysis'.
Timo Henrik Sysioe, our very own BSocSc (2011) and MPhil (2013) student, has recently been awarded the prestigious President's Graduate Scholarship by the National University of Singapore to pursue his PhD in the Department of Geography, NUS. Congratulations and well done, Timo!
Per invitation by our department head Prof. David D. Zhang, Prof. Fahu Chen, vice-president of Lanzhou University and a CAS Academician, visited the department on 25 Feb 2016 for academic and research exchange. Agreements were reached to strengthen research collaborations on climate change and human responses. Drs. Harry F. Lee, Jinbao Li and Qing Pei joined the discussion.
On 25 Oct 2015, Dr. Wendy Y. Chen was invited to give a talk entitled "valuation of urban ecosystem service in China: progress, challenges and perspectives" in a Sino-German collaborative research workshop on "Green Cities: The Value of Urban Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services" [...]
Click to see more
Dr. J.J. Zhang was invited as a discussant at the Contesting Territory - Sovereignty, Tourism and Aesthetics International Symposium in Fukuoka, Japan (23 November 2015).
He also delivered a guest lecture to graduate students of Comparative Studies on Politics in Asia (course on Border Studies in Asia) at Kyushu University.
Dr. Jinbao Li was invited to deliver a keynote speech at the fourth China Tree-Ring Symposium in Fuzhou, China (7-9 November, 2015).
Click to see more
Dr J.J. Zhang was interviewed by China Daily on Hong Kong's losing appeal among mainland Chinese tourists during the National Day holiday.
Prof. Becky Loo has been invited to deliver a keynote speech at the 2017 Worldwide Symposium on Transport and Land Use Research (WSTLUR) conference in Brisbane, Australia (2-6 July 2017).
The QS World University Ranking has raised HKU Geography from 25th in 2014
to 19th in 2015.
World ranking in Geography
Asia ranking in Geography